In today’s ever-evolving educational landscape, high-quality classroom and teaching resources are essential for fostering effective and engaging learning environments. With the rise of online platforms, accessing these resources has become more convenient and diverse than ever before.
Overwhelmed with options? Want to find one that serves your age group?
This article explores the available online avenues where UK teachers can find the best classroom and teaching resources.
Educational websites offer a wealth of resources, catering to a wide range of subjects, grade levels, and teaching styles. Some notable platforms include:
- BBC Teach: BBC Teach provides an extensive collection of educational resources, including lesson plans, videos, interactive games, and more. Teachers can access resources across subjects such as English, mathematics, science, and history, all aligned with the UK curriculum. Resources targeting: Early years, primary, and secondary education.
- Twinkl: Twinkl is a popular online resource platform that offers an extensive library of printable worksheets, lesson plans, and teaching materials. It covers a wide range of subjects and offers resources suitable for different age groups and ability levels. Resources targeting: Early years, primary, and secondary education.
- Teach Starter: Teach Starter provides a range of resources for primary school teachers, including lesson plans, classroom displays, and educational posters. It covers subjects like literacy, numeracy, science, and social studies. Resources for: Primarily primary school teachers.
Educational apps provide interactive and engaging learning experiences for students while offering teachers access to a variety of resources. Here are some noteworthy educational apps:
- Kahoot!: Kahoot! is a game-based learning platform that allows teachers to create and share interactive quizzes, surveys, and discussions. It promotes student engagement and can be used across various subjects.Resources targeting: Primary to secondary education.
- Seesaw: Seesaw is a digital portfolio platform that facilitates communication between teachers, students, and parents. Teachers can share resources, assign activities, and provide feedback to students, promoting collaboration and self-reflection. Resources targeting: Primary to lower secondary education.
- ClassDojo: ClassDojo is a comprehensive classroom management tool that also offers resources like videos, discussion prompts, and mindfulness activities. It encourages positive behaviour and communication within the classroom. Suitable for all age groups in primary and secondary education.
Online Communities and Forums
Online communities and forums provide a valuable platform for teachers to connect, collaborate, and share resources. Some prominent online communities for UK teachers include:
- TES Community: The TES Community is a vast online network where teachers can interact, seek advice, and share resources. It offers a wide range of forums covering different subjects and teaching areas. Serves teachers across all age groups, from early years to secondary education.
- The Guardian Teacher Network: The Guardian Teacher Network provides a platform for teachers to access resources, share ideas, and engage in professional discussions. It covers a variety of educational topics and offers expert insights. Serves teachers across all age groups, covering a wide range of educational topics.
- Edugeek: Edugeek is an online community specifically designed for educators working in the field of technology in education. It offers a space for teachers to seek support, share best practices, and find resources related to educational technology. Focuses on technology in education, serving educators across different age groups.
Open Educational Resources (OER)
Open Educational Resources (OER) are freely accessible materials that can be used for teaching, learning, and research. Here are some notable OER platforms:
- Open Educational Resources Commons (OER Commons): OER Commons provides a vast collection of openly licensed resources across subjects and grade levels. It offers textbooks, lesson plans, videos, and interactive activities. Offers resources suitable for all age groups, from early years to secondary education.
- Khan Academy: Khan Academy is a renowned platform offering a wide range of instructional videos, practice exercises, and assessments across various subjects. The resources are suitable for self-paced learning or classroom supplementation. Serves learners of all ages, including primary and secondary students.
- CK-12 Foundation: CK-12 Foundation provides a library of customizable digital textbooks, simulations, and practice exercises. It covers subjects like science, mathematics, social studies, and more. Provides resources for all age groups, covering various subjects.
Educational YouTube Channels
Educational YouTube channels offer video content that covers a diverse range of educational topics and subjects. Here are a few noteworthy YouTube channels for teachers:
- CrashCourse: CrashCourse features engaging and informative videos on a variety of subjects, including science, history, literature, and more. The channel employs captivating visuals and clear explanations to make complex concepts more accessible. Suitable for secondary education and beyond.
- TED-Ed: TED-Ed presents educational videos that focus on inspiring talks and thought-provoking lessons. The channel covers a wide range of topics, encouraging critical thinking and creativity among students. Caters to learners of all age groups, including primary and secondary students.
- Numberphile: Numberphile is a popular YouTube channel dedicated to mathematics. It explores fascinating mathematical concepts, puzzles, and theories, making math engaging and enjoyable for students and teachers alike. Primarily focuses on mathematics, this channel is suitable for secondary education and beyond.
In today’s digital age, UK teachers have an abundance of online resources at their fingertips. Educational websites, apps, online communities, open educational resources, and YouTube channels offer a vast array of materials and platforms for teachers to enhance their instructional practices and engage their students. By utilising these online resources, teachers can access high-quality lesson plans, worksheets, videos, interactive activities, and more, aligning with the UK curriculum and catering to diverse learning needs. Online communities are a brilliant place to explore, fostering collaboration, support, and the exchange of ideas among educators. Embracing these online platforms empowers UK teachers to enrich their classrooms with engaging and effective resources, ultimately enhancing the learning experiences and outcomes of their students. Continuous exploration and utilisation of these resources contribute to professional growth and the advancement of teaching practices in the UK educational landscape.